Police operatives from the regional PNP office and Camp Dagohoy shot dead last night an alleged top-level drug lord, a resident of Pilar town who had illegal drug operations in many towns here including the capital city of Tagbilaran.
The slain suspect was identified as James Olvida Reyes, a resident of Barangay Estaca, Pilar, Bohol, who had allegedly inherited the drug operation left by a drug queen, who was arrested early last year.
Killed at the cockpit arena in Poblacion, Sierra Bullones town early Saturday evening, Reyes, 41 years old and married,had been trailed down by police intel officers for months after they learned of the suspect’s return from a Mindanao trip.
Reyes was considered the No. 6 in the ranking of high-value-target drug lords in Central Visayas, according to Senior Inspector Jojit Mananquil, of the Provincial Intelligence Branch (PIB).
The buy-bust operation was the joint effort of police operatives from the Regional Special Operations Group 7 led by PSINSP RICARDO B. TERO, Regional Drug Enforcement Unit 7 (RDEU7) led by PSINSP WINDEL P. ABELLANA, and Provincial Special Operations Group (PSOG BPPO) led by PSINSP JOJIT S. MANANQUIL – and under the direct supervision and control of PSUPT REYNALDO MAGDALUYO, Chief RSOG7, in cooperation with the Sierra Bullones Police Station.
Police report revealed that a poseur buyer was transacting with Reyes a drug deal worth P5,000 but the suspect, after sensing he was dealing with a cop, drew a .45 caliber handgun in order to shoot his buyer. But alert policemen in the vicinity managed to fire first and hit Reyes in the face.
The suspect was brought to Congressman Simeon Toribio Memorial Hospital in Carmen town, but the attending physician Dr. Cromwell Aventurado pronounced him dead on arrival.
Seized from the suspect was a Toyota Fortuner vehicle, a shotgun with 9 live ammos, and four packs of suspected shabu with an estimated weight of 30 grams and street value of P354,000, and other drug paraphernalia.
Police said Reyes had a companion when the police conducted the buy-bust operation but was able to slip away from the police’s weekend dragnet.
“Kinilo na ang gina-dispose nga shabu aning suspect nga James Reyes,” Mananquil told The Bohol Tribune in an interview.
Reyes’s source of shabu supply is reportedly from Cebu and Muntinlupa.
“Dugay na ni namo siya nga ginamonitor kay nisibat ni sa Mindanao at the height of anti-drug operation sa Bohol,” Mananquil said.
He said Reyes was the alleged supplier of shabu to Teofilo “Tamjun” Tampus, who on May 6, 2017, at the height of the hot pursuit operation of Abu Sayyaf bandits in Bohol, was arrested in possession of 3 kilograms of shabu worth P18 million, in Barangay Nahawan, Clarin, Bohol.
Tampus was known as a carpenter in his town, and following his arrest, police were shocked to have found him in possession of such a huge volume of illegal drugs.
According to Mananquil, Reyes had inherited the drug operation left by Maida Quimson Jabines, also of Sierra Bullones, Bohol.
Jabines was arrested on April 22 last year in Cogon District, Tagbilaran City, in alleged possession of 2.2 kilograms of shabu which at that time had an estimated street value of P25.9 million.
Branded as Bohol’s alleged “drug queen,” Jabines, together with four other suspects (Daryl Louie Quimson, Ruel Vitor, Rosulo Pamaong and James Louie Bongalos),was arrested by police operatives under then the direction of former Bohol police director Senior Supt. Dennis Palo Agustin. She is currently detained at the City District Jail.
DRUG WAR CONTINUES
“That is why, I have resolved that no matter how long it takes, the fight against illegal drugs will continue because that is the root cause of so much evil and so much suffering [applause] that weakens the social fabric and deters foreign investments from pouring in. The fight will be unremitting as it will be unrelenting,” Duterte noted.
“Despite international and local pressures, the fight will not stop until those who deal in it understand that they have to cease, they have to stop because the alternatives are either jail or hell. And I will make sure, very sure that they will not have the luxury of enjoying the benefits of their greed and madness,” the President said.
Duterte also told the critics against this fight: “Your efforts will be better spent if you use the influence, moral authority and ascendancy of your organizations over your respective sectors to educate the people on the evils of illegal drugs instead of condemning the authorities and unjustly blaming for every killing that bloodies this country.”
Dutere said that he does not intend to loosen the leash in the campaign or lose the fight against illegal drugs.
“Neither do I intend to preside over the destruction of the Filipino youth by being timid and tentative in my decisions and actions,” he said.
DRUG LABS BUSTED
Meanwhile, PDEA Director General Isidro Lapeña said that from June 2016 up to July 26,2017, some 154 drug dens and nine clandestine shabu laboratories were dismantled while different illegal drugs were seized worth PHP18.56 billion.
As of July 26, a total of 2,455 kilos of methamphetamine hydrochloride, also known as “shabu,” with an estimated value of PHP12.66 billion were also seized.
The PDEA chief said authorities have arrested a total of 96,703 individuals included 327 persons from government involved in illegal drugs from July 2016 to July 26, 2017.
Of the total, he said some 142 were elected officials, 23 were uniformed personnel, and 159 government employees.
Around 68,214 anti-illegal drugs operations by joint law enforcement agencies were also conducted during the period.
Lapena added the number of drug surrenderers totaled 1,308,078 during the anti-narcotics campaign period from July 2016 to July 26, 2017.
As of July 26, 2017, their consolidated report showed that 3,451 drug suspects have died during operations while 68 were killed in action and 184 wounded from the law enforcement agencies during the operations.
Lapeña said that joint law enforcement agencies rescued 398 minors during anti-illegal drugs operations from July 2016 to July 26, 2017.
Meanwhile, the Pres. Duterte said during his second SONA that “…progress and development will sputter if criminals, illegal drugs, illegal users of drugs are allowed to roam the streets freely, victimizing seeming with impunity, the innocent and the helpless.”
“Worse yet, there were times in the past when the protectors of the people were themselves the perpetrators of the very crimes they were tasked to prevent or suppress. It is ironic as it is madness,” Duterte said.