The Bohol police command has been directed to stay on high alert following the treacherous acts staged by the New People’s Army (NPA) in which six police officers were killed in a daylight ambush that also left three other cops wounded.
Speaking over radio station dyTR, Supt. Patricio Degay Jr., chief of the Tagbilaran City Police Station, revealed that they have received a directive from higher authorities to stay on full alert after their comrades in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental were slaughtered by NPA rebels numbering about a hundred.
Degay in an interview expressed sadness over the incident, noting that police officers are noncombatants as their civil mandate is focused on serving and protecting the public.
“Wala namang kalaban-laban ang mga kasamahan natin napatay sa ambush sa Negros,” Degay lamented.
At least six police officers, including the chief of police of Guilhungan City Police Station (Supt. Ariel Arpon) were killed on Friday afternoon after communist rebels, armed with high-caliber rifles, ambushed a PNP patrol car en route to respond to a shooting incident. Three other police officers were wounded in the ambush.
The police were responding to an alarm call by a city councilor, who was also ambushed earlier in the day. But it turned out that the NPA had already planned the treacherous attack, using the city councilor incident as a bait.
On the other hand, Senior Supt. Dennis Palo Agustin, Deputy Regional Director for Operations of Central Visayas PNP, told The Bohol Tribune yesterday that the police will hold a command conference next week.
Among the pressing topics to be discussed by top PNP officers are the inventories of available firearms in every police station and the augmentation of members for the combat-trained Provincial Public Safety Command (PPSC).
Earlier, outgoing PNP Regional Director Chief Supt. Noli Taliño visited Bohol to check on the security arrangements of town police stations in the province.
Taliño in an interview with The Bohol Tribune disclosed that he had instructed some police stations here, after having been reprimanded for their lax security measures within their areas of jurisdiction, to beef up their defense preparations.
Taliño issued the order following the humiliating June 18, 2017 incident in Maasin town, Iloilo in which a group of NPA rebels outran the police station there and fled with them all the weapons of the disarmed police officers, who were shocked of the surprised maneuvers of the communist fighters.
Meanwhile, Pres. Rody Duterte, following the atrocities committed by the NPA rebels across the country, has called for the cancellation of any peace talks with the communist insurgents.
The decision of the President came after his own Presidential Security Group (PSG) officers were also ambushed and wounded by the NPAs in Arakan, North Cotabato on July 18.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) vowed to track down and bring to justice the New People’s Army (NPA) rebels who ambushed and killed six of its police officers in Guihulngan, Negros Oriental Friday morning.
PNP spokesperson Chief Supt. Dionardo Carlos said they strongly condemned this latest rebel atrocity.
“The PNP condemns the recent attack by NPA rebels around 9:50 a.m. Friday in Magsaysay, Guihulngan City in Negros Oriental. The victims were responding to a reported ambush of SB Edison Dela Ritta when also ambushed by the NPA rebels and killed six responding policemen, including its City Chief of Police, Supt. Arnel Arpon and five others (SPO2 Necasio Tabilon, SPO1 Jesael Ancheta, PO3 Chouvic Agosto, PO2 Alvin Paul Bulandres, & PO2 Alfredo Lastimoso Dunque). Also wounded were SPO4 Jerome Delara, PO3 Jordan Balderas, & PO2 Jorie Maribao,” he said.
He added the PNP will not stop until the perpetrators are made to answer for the crime.